My sister Kelli tagged me with this meme via e-mail, and each time I respond, it mysteriously gets deleted before I can hit “reply”. I think it’s a fun survey, so I decided to post it here.
Besides, if it happens to get “lost” again, I can copy and paste. 😀
Feel free to tag yourself on your own blog, or down in the comment section. Be sure you let me know, though– I’d love to read your answers.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper for the easy, square-shaped packages, and gift bags for the weirdly-shaped items that are impossible to wrap neatly.
2. Real tree or Artificial? Artificial. I love the smell of real, but I’m afraid I’d kill it. It’s a lot of responsibility. (I know you’re asking yourself, “How have her kids survived?” They just do, okay?)
3. When do you put up the tree? Usually during Thanksgiving weekend, but since Hannah’s birthday is the day before Thanksgiving, I think we’ll put it up early this year, to celebrate her birthday. She’ll LOVE it.
4. When do you take the tree down? After New Year’s. Kenny asks me every year on January 2 when I’m going to take it down. I can’t blame him, really, because the year Anthony was born (Dec. 19), the tree came down on March 1. Or was it April?
5. Do you like eggnog? Love it, only it has to be diluted with milk!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? My Kimberley doll and her wardrobe.
7. Hardest person to buy for? My brothers.
8. Easiest person to buy for? Kenny. Does he always like (or use!) what I get him? No.
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, several. How many will I put out? Probably none. Baby Jesus would most likely be thrown through the front window, and we can’t have that.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail. I’m even going to make my own cards, if I can get it together.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? The mint-green, pull-over, zip-up robe my MIL gave me for my first Christmas. It was size M. It was deliberate.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and Elf.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Some years I’m finished by Thanksgiving, and other years I haven’t even started. This year I’ve got the hand-made stuff done, but the retail items still have to be purchased.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Possibly. Inadvertently.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Dad’s candy trays. (Not the actual trays…)
16. Lights on the tree? Yes. Sometimes white, sometimes colored.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Angels We Have Heard on High (traditional) and Christmas Waltz (semi-contemporary).
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home. Between my house and my parents’, it’s holiday heaven.
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Since I could sing the song. Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donder, Blitzen, Rudolph.
20. Angel on the tree-top or a star? We have (had) an angel for our tree, but when I went to put her on the tree last year, she was missing. Still can’t figure out where she went. We made do with a Santa hat (and I had Santa-hat garland, so there was a theme), and Kenny HATED it. Unless the angel makes a miraculous appearance, he’ll have to hate the Santa hat again this year. Or spring for a new angel.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning, although German tradition says Christmas Eve. Kris Kringle brings gifts for our kids so they can open one on Dec. 24, and Kenny and I usually exchange one gift, so we get around it that way. It’s a good compromise. (And believe-you-me… for the first six? seven? eight? years of our marriage, he would buy something and give it to me three weeks early, because he couldn’t wait until Christmas, which was fun on that day, but a bummer on Christmas morning, so something CLEARLY had to be done!)
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Nothing but straight Christmas music beginning on November 1, and then nothing on December 26. I mean, we’ve been tortured for an entire month… what’s another week? Keep the holiday season going through New Year’s.
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? I like gold, red and green, but our tree has no theme. Maybe nostalgia? My favorite ornament is the tiny blue angel we got on December 1, 1998. That was the day we had our ultrasound of Alex (didn’t find out his gender), and after our appointment we went to dinner at Rafael’s. They had a little tree with these delicate angels on it, and we bought one to commemorate the occasion. I still get a little teary when I pull it out each year.
24. Favorite food for Christmas dinner? Cheese balls and crackers.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? A Kitchenaid Artisan stand mixer. Or a pampering day at the spa up the street.